Vinyl Siding Institute
The Vinyl Siding Institute (VSI) is an organization that educates consumers, contractors and the public on vinyl siding and the benefits it can provide. VSI turned to Sustainable Solutions Corporation to provide unbiased responses to questions from GreenBuilder magazine regarding the sustainability of vinyl siding. The responses, based on Life Cycle Assessment data, were published in GreenBuilder and explained the truths and myths about the environmental impacts of vinyl siding. SSC completed an industry-wide average LCA for vinyl siding in North America.
- LCA results demonstrated that vinyl siding options have significantly lower environmental impacts than previously thought.
- The LCA results are now published in the Building for Environmental and Economic Sustainability (BEES) online tool provided by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST).
- Resulting data revealed that vinyl siding is a sustainable option - less impactful than traditional cladding techniques.
- Compared to brick, Global Warming Potential (GWP) of vinyl is 86.4% less and overall environmental impacts are 77.4% less.
- With the assistance of Sustainable Solutions Corporation, VSI has developed a green marketing campaign based on the LCA results.